Friday, July 26, 2013

Nicole's Quiet Book

Hi everyone! Today's beautiful quiet book comes to us from Nicole of The Malmberg Family. I honestly think this is one of the prettiest quiet books I've seen; the fabric choices for the cover and the page backgrounds are really just lovely and give the book such a nice feel. It really is just so well done and well put together! It also looks very fun and I'm sure that any child that plays with this book will enjoy it. Take a look!


Interview

What's your name? Describe yourself in one sentence.
My name is Nicole and I live on Vancouver Island in Canada. I love the outdoors and being a Mom. We're not afraid to play and get messy. My motto is "you're washable!" :)

Who did you make this quiet book for? How old are they?
My daughter Cali who is two-years-old.

What's your level of sewing experience?
Beginner. If even that. My sewing skills are very mediocre.

How long did it take you?
Started in November 2012, but just kind of did little bits here and there. I really focused and got it finished this past month. It probably took me somewhere around 35+ hours. Finished May 2013.

Did you use any templates? Where can they be found?
I did use a template for the butterfly/leaf pages and the caterpillar page. I found the template here: Free Butterfly Book Template. The others I just found on Pinterest and created my own templates.

How did you bind your quiet book?
I left 2" room at the left side of each page and made 3 button holes. Then I put ribbon through them and a little panel on the cover and tied them together. you can see the tying done on the last page.

What material are the pages made out of?
Page itself is cotton fabric with some kind of iron on board insert. The pictures are all wool felt.

What other materials did you use?
Zipper, Velcro, snaps, ribbon, lock & key, beads, buttons, plastic clip and acrylic paint.

How much did all the supplies cost you?
TOO MUCH! Since I'm new to sewing I didn't have any previous supplies on hand. I spent close to $100 easily. I did borrow color thread from friend. My biggest mistake is buying too much. I have enough supplies left over to make another book and maybe even two! And I ordered wool felt off of Etsy. That was pretty pricey. But I live in a small town and our Walmart felt selection was pitiful.

What's your favorite page? Why?
My favorite page is the Tent Page because it was my very first Zipper and I was so nervous to do it. Also, the little diva girl inside the tent is my daughter Cali. :) Also the book cover because my daughter picked out the butterfly fabric which turned out to be so cute.

To see Nicole's quiet book on her blog, click here: Cali's Quiet Book. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful quiet book with us, Nicole!

Have you made a quiet book that you'd like to share? Click here for instructions on how to submit your own quiet book!

No comments:

Post a Comment