Monday, December 23, 2013

Amy's Quiet Book

The quiet book I get to share with you today is one of the classics, one of the ones that started it all. Amy of the popular blog Serving Pink Lemonade made and posted her awesome quiet book almost three years ago, in January 2011. Very soon after she posted her templates and helpful instructions. And just a few months ago, she published her very own book on how to make a quiet book! Her book, Quiet Book Patterns: 25 Easy-to-Make Activities for Your Children, is available on Amazon.com and looks awesome.

When I was making my own quiet book back in 2011, Amy's was one of the first ones I found. The quality of it inspired me, and I loved her different activities. I based my barn on her lovely, clean-cut one. And my favorite page in her book is the seasons tree - I definitely want to make one in one of my future quiet books.

So enjoy Amy's awesome quiet book, and definitely take a look at her Quiet Book Pattern book on Amazon!


Interview

What's your name? Describe yourself in one sentence. 
My name is Amy.  I am a mother to three cute kiddos and a recent first time author of "Quiet Book Patterns: 25 easy-to-make activities for your children"--which are completely different ideas than what I'm sharing with you today.

Who did you make this quiet book for? How old are they?
I made my quiet books for my oldest two children when they were only two and four years old.

What's your level of sewing experience?  
I started sewing as a young girl.  I remember sewing simple straight lines to help my mom make cloth diapers for my younger siblings.  I made my first dress when I was ten years old and made skirts, handbags, and even my prom dress in high school.  I perfected my sewing skills in college by taking a few clothing constructions and pattern making classes.

How long did it take you? 
I worked on my quiet books for over the period of two to three months, a little here and a little there.

Did you use any templates? Where can they be found?
I used some of the quiet books my mom had made when I was a little girl for inspiration but I drew up each template from scratch for my own quiet book.  You can find the templates on my website: Serving Pink Lemonade: Quiet Book.

How did you bind your quiet book?
To bind my quiet books I punched holes through the Pellon Peltex pages with a single paper hole punch.  Peltex is strong and won't fray or tear so you don't have to worry about reinforcing the holes.  Initially I strung ribbon through the holes to bind the pages and then later replaced the ribbon with 1" binder rings.

What material are the pages made out of?
The pages of my books are made of Pellon Peltex (a thick non-fusible interfacing).  I love it because it doesn't "pill" like felt and it is sturdy and the edges will not fray.

What other materials did you use?
I used a lot of still felt on my pages and ironed most of the pieces on using Pellon Wonder Under so I didn't have to do very much sewing.

How much did all the supplies cost you?
I didn't keep track of the cost since I bought the supplies a little at a time.  A lot the the supplies I already had on hand too.  Making a quiet book is a great way to use up small scraps!

What's your favorite page? Why? 
My favorite page by far is the car mat page.  I love how it turned out and my kids love playing with it.  I think the road signs add a professional touch.


To view Amy's quiet book on her blog, with helpful instructions, templates, and supply lists, click here: Serving Pink Lemonade: Quiet Book. To see Amy's Quiet Book Pattern Book, click here: Quiet Book Patterns: 25 Easy-to-Make Activities for Your Children.

Thank you so much for sharing your book, your templates, and your instructions with us Amy!



Have you made a quiet book that you'd like to share? Click here for instructions on how to submit your own quiet book!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful: ideas, colours, sewing. Even small details are ideal. Make more books... and show us, pls

    ReplyDelete